Ask yourself a couple of questions:
- Are my images technically correct in terms of exposure, colour and sharpness?
- Have I given thought to the design or have I simply pointed and shot?
- Is my visual message simple, clear and bold?
- Is there a 'hero' on my photo? A person, tree, dog or rock could all be 'heroes'?
- Did I allow others to view my image or is it hidden under the bed?
- Did I earn a fair return for my effort?
- Did my photograph make someone or group or community feel better?
|Leprosarium, Andreh Pradesh, India, Photo: © Dale Neill 2005|
Five hundred metres down the road was a leprosarium. My Indian minders warned me the leprosarium was strictly out of bounds for me as a westerner.
The young girl stepped forward from her group and greeted me enthusiastically. She had no mother and father and lived in the colony with her grandmother who had contracted leprosy. She asked me to photograph her and show the others.