The single biggest factor that will elevate your image as a finalist is to add the element of EMOTION.
Too many photographers think that if they secure the services of an attractive/interesting subject, arrange quality lighting and produce a pin-sharp image with an expensive camera they will automatically guarantee a top ten finish. Its not true.
|'Dragonfly' Family Portrait - Nikon D700 1/60@f16 800ISO 50mm Nikkor lens.|
- Facial expressions - in particular the eyes and mouth
- Body language - gestures, body angle, reaction to a stimulus
- The surroundings can contribute
- Add a second person - interaction
- Add a dog or cat (or any animal!) - interaction